Are The Mosquitoes In Lexington Dangerous?
July 15, 2021 - Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are a common flying insect that is typically about a ¼ inch long with slender bodies and long legs known for disrupting outdoor activities. Some of the species that are prevalent in this region include the yellow fever mosquito (Aedes aegypti), Asian tiger mosquitoes (Aedes albopictus), common malaria mosquitoes (Anopheles quadrimaculatus), and common house mosquitoes (Culex pipiens). The word “mosquito” originated from the Spanish and Portuguese term meaning “little fly.”
The Dangers Caused By Mosquitoes
Most people bitten by mosquitoes will notice that the area of skin becomes red and itchy; however, mosquitoes can pose potentially significant threats to human health that require medical attention. For example, they are known to transmit yellow fever, the Zika virus, the West Nile virus, chikungunya, dengue, and other concerns. Agencies including the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) closely monitor mosquito activity in the region, and are active in educational programs that promote public safety and awareness.
Best Practices For Prevention
- Regularly cut the grass in the yard and keep bushes, shrubs, and other overgrowth and vegetation properly trimmed.
- Remove any containers or other items that can hold pools of standing water, including buckets, kiddie pools, and old tires.
- Maintain all gutters and downspouts to better ensure that water is directed away from the home, and change the water in bird baths frequently to remove any eggs.
- During the warmest months of the year, avoid outdoor activity during the dusk and dawn hours when mosquitoes tend to be the most active.
- When engaging in outdoor activity, wear long-sleeved shirts and full-length pants to prevent mosquitoes from having direct access to the skin. Use EPA-approved insect repellents as needed, which often are applied to the skin as lotions or sprays. Some of the most effective repellents contain DEET, picaridin, and IR3535, which are safe when used as directed.
Do I Need Assistance From A Professional Pest Controller?
Property owners today often mistakenly attempt to try home remedies that are largely folklore, or store-bought treatment options that tend to be ineffective and may contain harsh chemicals. These do-it-yourself measures, such as sprays, traps, and lanterns, commonly result in further aggravation that could have been avoided. The best way of responding to a potential pest-related problem is to speak with a licensed exterminator that has the knowledge, tools, and equipment needed to get the job done!
Leading Pest Extermination Company In Lexington
The experts with Lamp's Pest Solutions now provide services for both residential and commercial customers in the Lexington area that are experiencing problems with mosquitoes, bed bugs, fleas, rodents, and other unwanted and potentially dangerous pests. We are a local family-owned company that recognizes the importance of protecting the safety of our customers and the local environment. Therefore, we use the latest products registered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and other industry-leading organizations.
Our seasoned team of pest professionals stands firmly behind the quality of the work we perform with our 100% “no-nonsense” warranty. Please contact our office today to schedule a detailed interior and exterior property assessment, and a complimentary estimate. Don’t forget to ask your representative about our year-long property protection plans that include monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly visits from a specialist.